Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Vacances d'hiver: Marrakech, Day One

Hey all! Guess what? I am on yet another 2-week vacation (courtesy of the fantastic French Ministry of Education) and this time, I am in...wait for it...MOROCCO!!!!! AHHHHH!!! So. Freaking. Awesome. I got here yesterday around noon with my friend Louise (the same one I went to Belgium with), and we have been basking in the gorgeous 70 degree (Farenheit, of course) weather. We're staying in Marrakech until the night of the 28th, then taking the overnight train to Tangier, where we'll catch a bus to our next stop, Chefchaouen. Chefchaouen is this small but beautiful town where all the houses are blue and white--can't wait!! We'll be there for two days and one night, and then we're going to Fes, where I will stay for two nights and Louise will stay for at least one (possibly two as well) because she has to get back to Marrakech on the 4th to catch her flight to Spain. I'm flying out of Fes so I will most definitely be there two nights. Anyway, onwards!

We're staying in this hostel called Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge, it's pretty awesome...and we can ask for free tea whenever we want!

Main building
Main building lounge
Door of our building--so colorful! =)
We haven't done too much so far; most of yesterday was spent wandering around Marrakech--our first stop--and exploring the souks. Which was...an experience. Vendors here are definitely the pushiest ones I've ever encountered. Most of them are male, and since it's just me and Louise, 2 girls who stick out like no other (I'm Asian, she's blond...not exactly helpful for blending in), they hassle us a lot by calling us weird things or complimenting our looks (except in a creepy way) and try and get us to buy their goods. Two of my favorite nicknames for Louise so far are "Shakira" and "Lady GaGa." As for me, they constantly ask where I'm from, and for some reason they always assume Japan first...one interaction went like this:
Vendor: Konichiwa!
Me: Je ne suis pas japonaise. Translation: I'm not Japanese.
Vendor: Oh...(is embarrassed) désolé! Translation: Sorry! (runs away)

Haha, yeah. It makes it pretty uncomfortable walking through the souks, but...it's still pretty awesome to see all the beautiful and colorful products! There are so many things I want to buy! Agh! Here are some photos from our exploration:

Louise in front of the Koutubia mosque
There are orange trees everywhere! Almost like Florida!

Place Jamaa El-Fna, the most famous square in Marrakech!
We also got to have a delicious Moroccan lunch at this place called Toubkal in the Place Jamaa el-Fnaa, which is the biggest and most central square of Marrakech. I got couscous with lamb; Louise got lamb tagine. Sooo good! I also got the Moroccan specialty, green tea with mint. Now that stuff is bomb. Definitely planning on buying some of that to take back!

Green tea with mint =D
Couscous with lamb
Anyway, on the books for today is a one-day excursion to Ouarzazate, also known as "the door of the desert," which is pretty damn exciting. Hopefully I'll get to ride a camel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment